Thursday 10 March 2011

Task 1 Design Ideas

When thinking of a design to correspond to Task 1, i thought of how the final product would interact with the atrium where it would be displayed. I began to think of contrasting shapes. This was because I noticed how the atrium was made up generally of straight line forms.





The Hubs is a good reflection of contrasting shapes as from a distance it appears to be a dome shaped building but on closer inspection you can see it is made up of a number of rectangular flat shapes.


After looking at this I decided to go with a more rounded shape to contrast against the angular form of the atrium. Therefore I looked at a form that Richard Sweeney introduced to me in the 3rd workshop.


This form was the basis for my designs and I then began to think of how I could repeat this form to produce a model. So I started looking at repeated circles and how they are used in everyday forms when I thought of electrical pylons.


I noticed in electrical pylons they use a repeated shape to build up the structure and this gives it a lot of strength. The aspect of the pylon which gave me the most interest was the part below:


The circular forms hanging down to connect the wires was the inspiration for my designs. I like the way the concentric circles formed a tube effect which i wanted to use so I experimented with a few design ideas.


Here, I have used photoshop to develop a few designs by re-sizing the circles to create forms out of my concentric circles. I decided to go with the second of my designs because I felt it generated the human body form with the contours created. I felt this design would contrast well with the straight lines of the atrium as there is virtually no straight lines in its structure.





No comments:

Post a Comment